FOX 2 How To: The Silent Killer - FOX 35 News Orlando

FOX 2 How To: The Silent Killer


Now that it’s officially furnace season, we're going to be talking about "how to" stay safe this upcoming winter season with the main topic being deadly carbon monoxide.

You can’t see it, smell it or even taste it, but it’s responsible for hundreds of deaths and thousands of hospital-related injuries every single year.

The primary sources of carbon monoxide in our homes are simply anything that burns a flame -- furnaces, water heaters, stoves and some space heaters.  It’s crucial to have a qualified technician maintain these appliances yearly so that you and your family remain safe.

Having a battery backup carbon monoxide detector can also help, but here’s a tip. Most of the more affordable detectors will only alert you when it’s time to get out of the house. You can be slowly poisoned by CO for months and months and not even know it.  A low level carbon monoxide detector will show you a digital read out of even the smallest levels so you can determine there's a problem faster and without injury.

Here’s a few more hard hitting facts. If your furnace goes out, do not use your gas stove to heat your house. Do not use any type of temporary, non-vented gas heaters.

If you lose your power, do not bring a generator inside your home. Many people who have done this are not with us here today, period.  Stay with a friend or contact a local agency.

Understanding the dangers of carbon monoxide is extremely important so that you and your family can have a safe and wonderful holiday season.

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices