Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service - FOX 35 News Orlando

Superstorm Sandy

Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service

Posted: Updated:
Ambulances lined up waiting to transport patients out of Bellevue (building in background). Ambulances lined up waiting to transport patients out of Bellevue (building in background).
NEW YORK (AP) -

Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan reopened its nonemergency walk-in services Monday after suffering what officials called "devastating damage" from Superstorm Sandy.

But full services at the East Side facility won't resume until February, hospital officials announced at a news conference.

Starting Monday, Bellevue also will offer limited adult and pediatric outpatient primary care clinics and routine OB-GYN services.

Limited emergency care services are expected by mid-December.

City Health and Hospitals Corp. President Alan Aviles said it's the first time in 275 years the hospital was forced to stop operations. 

"It was only a few weeks ago that this historic public hospital suffered devastating damage from a monster storm that required the evacuation of all patients," Aviles said. "Our doors are once again open 24/7 while we continue the slow but certain road toward recovery with a shared sense of purpose focused, as always, on our commitment to our patients and the community we serve."

About 700 patients had to be evacuated from Bellevue when all but one of the hospital's generators failed.

Bellevue is one of four New York hospitals closed to inpatients three weeks after the storm hit the city last month. The three other medical facilities are New York University Langone Medical Center, the Manhattan VA Medical Center and Coney Island Hospital.

Patients were transported to other New York hospitals with extra beds.

Until the closure days after the storm, the National Guard aided Bellevue's efforts to stay open by hauling fuel to backup generators. But it was determined that flood damage would make it impossible to adequately power the hospital.

The fuel feed to the generators stopped working when an estimated 17 million gallons of water rushed into the hospital's 1-million-square-foot basement. The floodwaters also knocked out power to the hospital's elevators.

NYU Langone Medical Center, on the East Side near Bellevue, evacuated 300 patients after it lost generator power because of the storm. Outpatient facilities are up and running, and inpatients are expected to return in several weeks.

Coney Island Hospital also is partially reopened and due to be fully operational by January, Aviles said.

Employees from the Manhattan VA Hospital, which remains closed, have been relocated to the Brooklyn VA Medical Center. 

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, working with the City Council, allocated $300 million in emergency restoration capital funds to help the city's hospitals rebuild and recover from Sandy.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Etan Patz murder confession played in court

    Etan Patz murder confession played in court

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:43:37 GMT
    A judge allowed a confession tape to be played in court in connection with the case of Etan Patz, who vanished in 1979. On the tape, Pedro Hernandez described how he killed Patz. But his lawyers say Hernandez falsely confessed and doesn't understand his rights. Before Hernandez's videotaped confession was played, Patz's mother quickly left the courtroom unable to watch the video.
    A judge allowed a confession tape to be played in court in connection with the case of Etan Patz, who vanished in 1979. On the tape, Pedro Hernandez described how he killed Patz. But his lawyers say Hernandez falsely confessed and doesn't understand his rights. Before Hernandez's videotaped confession was played, Patz's mother quickly left the courtroom unable to watch the video.
  • NJ, NY officials meet about security

    NJ, NY officials meet about security

    Monday, September 15 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:50:11 GMT
    With new concerns about home grown terrorism becoming more urgent, city and state officials -- including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio -- met with Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to devise new strategies. NYPD counterterrorism police stood watch outside the Midtown Manhattan meeting where city, state and federal law enforcement officials coordinated their new security plans.
    With new concerns about home grown terrorism becoming more urgent, city and state officials -- including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio -- met with Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to devise new strategies. NYPD counterterrorism police stood watch outside the Midtown Manhattan meeting where city, state and federal law enforcement officials coordinated their new security plans.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices