Zimmerman motion to remove GPS monitor denied by judge - FOX 35 News Orlando

Zimmerman motion to remove GPS monitor denied by judge

Posted: Updated:
  • 911 CallsMore>>

  • 911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    Wednesday, April 11 2012 9:52 AM EDT2012-04-11 13:52:36 GMT
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
  • Exclusive InterviewMore>>

  • Robert Zimmerman interview

    Robert Zimmerman interview

    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.
    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.
SANFORD, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -

George Zimmerman will continue to stay in Seminole County, after a judge denied an order which would have allowed him to take off his GPS monitor and travel to different counties within the state.  His attorney, Mark O'Mara, says his client continues to get death threats and that it's a security issue.

"There are threats out there, and if you want, we can present them," O'Mara told the judge.
 
State prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda questions whether George Zimmerman is concerned about his safety, saying, "This defendant appeared on national TV.  He put his profile right up there for everyone in the world to see him, and now, he's arguing that it's not safe.  This defendant came in through the front door. But there's so many threats he's scared."

He says Zimmerman should not be approaching the public if he's worried about his life. "You can't have it where you want the publicity, where you keep bringing up the publicity. You keep bringing up the case, as the defense does and then argue that it's unsafe for him there. Who's generating all this publicity? Why are we here for this motion, is it more for publicity? Maybe now the defendant wants to get more autographs. Maybe he wants to travel to west Florida so he's got people who will pay him more money to get his autograph. Is that what this is about? I would argue that an objective person would come to that conclusion."
 
Last month, Zimmerman offered to write "thank you" notes to anyone who made a donation. According to O'Mara, it's to help raise money for legal fees.

"We have decided it is truly time to up our fundraising request, because the defense fund is at its lowest, doesn't have any money and we have an enormous amount of expenses," O'Mara added.

He doesn't think his client's signature will be sold on Ebay. "The idea that he's signing the card and it's going to be sold, I don't think that George's signature is some commodity that's going to gain money. People are going to give money to George because they think he deserves it."
 
O'Mara says he created a social media campaign, because he says Zimmerman was being portrayed as a racist. "They turned George Zimmerman into a racist murderer when he's not. And their PR firm and the lawyers and the handlers and the people who came here from out of state and decided to virtually incite a riot, did so improperly and I think they should be held at task for that. I am frustrated that their actions, impacted so negatively on my county, on my state and my country and were doing it for what seems to be profiteering."

But Trayvon Martin's family attorneys, Benjamin Crump and Natalie Jackson, have denied the allegations. De la Rionda also denied calling Zimmerman a racist murderer, saying, "There's no evidence that he acted in racist ways. I've never alleged on behalf of the state of Florida that he killed because he hated African-Americans, or blacks."
 
Last week, the defense released a picture of Zimmerman's bloody nose to show that he was attacked by Trayvon Martin.  O'Mara says, "If Trayvon was the aggressor, if he did in fact crack my guy's nose, which the forensic evidence seems to support , then Trayvon's actions that night are going to become a focus."

However, De la Rionda says there's no proof to the picture, adding,  "There were no X-rays."
 
O'Mara told the judge he continues to try and obtain records from the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice Community Relations team. However, they haven't responded to all of his requests yet.
 
Meanwhile, two different petitions have been created.  One calls for the federal investigation into George Zimmerman possibly violating the civil rights of Trayvon Martin.  The other petition states it was Zimmerman's rights which were violated and that a federal investigation should take place.  Both can be found on the White House website, where citizens can file complaints.

  • Photos of Casey Anthony

  • Click here to see photos of Casey Anthony through the months.
  • Trayvon Martin Coverage

  • Click here for stories, photos and 911 calls from the Trayvon Martin case.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

 
 

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices