A 3-year-old child suffered burns on the legs and two cars were destroyed Christmas night after firefighters say gasoline was used to light charcoals for a family barbecue.
Firefighters were called to the Tuscany at Aloma apartments in Winter Park in the evening hours, where they found two cars engulfed in flames.
After talking to witnesses and examining evidence, they think a family was using gasoline to get their charcoals going as they grilled.
The man running the barbecue may have thrown the gas can, which he thought was empty, underneath two cars, causing them to catch fire.
"I thought it was going to kill my Mom and my Mom's friend so, I just came over here and ran," said witness Robby Rodriguez, who came running when he heard his mother was trapped in the apartment just behind the fire. He kicked in a door to let his Mom out.
"It's just the Christmas spirit I guess. I don't know. It's my Mom, you know. She gave me life, just like Christ gave me life."
The 3-year-old child was transported to Arnold Palmer Hospital and is expected to survive.
The man who owned the destroyed truck, Bobby Dyer, said he was at a store when the fire started. He said he's just glad no one was hurt worse.
"I was shocked because I was gone no longer than 30 minutes, and I came back and my truck was on fire," he said. "Safety of the people is what my most concern is, not the truck, because the truck can be replaced. You know the insurance people can pay for that it's no problem."