New York lawmakers blast Congress for no Sandy aid vote - FOX 35 News Orlando

Local lawmakers blast Congress for no Sandy aid vote

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Several local lawmakers are blasting Congress for failing to hold a vote on superstorm Sandy aid.

The U.S. House of Representatives approved the Senate financial bill that will prevent the U.S. economy from falling off the fiscal cliff.  But Congress failed to vote on the $60.4B superstorm Sandy relief bill.

Gov. Chris Christie is calling the House of Representative's failure to act "inexcusable."

Christie issued a joint statement with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday lambasting Congress's failure to approve the emergency aid measure.

Christie and Cuomo say it's been 66 days since the storm hit, and nearly a month since President Obama proposed an aid package which was passed by the Senate.

Both governors say the House's move to allow the bill to die was an unprecedented failure to respond to a devastating natural disaster that has impacted thousands of American lives.

Reps. Michael Grimm, a Republican, and Jerrold Nadler, a Democrat, said on the House floor Wednesday that while they did not agree on much, House Speaker John Boehner's decision would be a crushing blow to states battered by the late October storm.

The Senate approved a $60.4 billion measure Friday to help with recovery from the storm that devastated parts of New York, New Jersey and nearby states. The House Appropriations Committee has drafted a smaller, $27 billion measure, and a vote had been expected before Congress' term ends Thursday at noon.

It was a surprise move that stunned Rep. Steve Israel (D-LI.) He spoke with Good Day NY on Wednesday.

"In the very last minute they pulled the rug from under us. When it came to New Yorkers and people in NJ they said no. It is simply indefensible. There is going to be a delay in getting these funds to the people who need them. It was John Boehner and Eric Cantor who turned their backs on New Yorkers and New Jerseyans," said Israel.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
  • Garner's family meets U.S. attorney

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:34:05 GMT
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices