A fire sends a couple running from their home near 85th Avenue and Deer Valley Road.
While the homeowners were escaping the fire, one went back into the home to get her pets. A Maricopa County Sheriff's deputy was able to get her out of the house and says she's lucky to be alive.
Crews say a the fireplace was left on when the homeowner fell asleep. When she woke up to the smell of smoke, she got her husband out of bed.
They managed to get all of their pets to safety, including two horses that they adopted on Christmas Eve.
Rural Metro's Bob Bombiatti says, "There was significant water damage from putting the fire out, but the fire damage was pretty much contained to the attic.
The homeowners were not injured say they will rebuild.
It's unknown if there were any smoke detectors in the home.
The cause of the fire has not been determined yet, but crews believe it began in the chimney.
Video: FOX 10's Diane Ryan reports.
This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 10 News for updates.