Brooklyn 8th grader brings butcher knife to school - FOX 35 News Orlando

Brooklyn 8th grader brings butcher knife to school

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

An 8th grader allegedly brought a 9-inch butcher knife and a bad attitude to a school in Brooklyn last Tuesday.  It took more than a week to get him suspended.

Now an honor student who says she was threatened by him is too afraid to go to class.

"He had asked me out and I had told him no thank you, I'm not interested and he told me I would regret what I told him, and I would pay for what I said," Lisa Rivera said.

Louis Rivera keeps an extra close watch over his 14-year-old daughter, Lisa. It's all because of what happened last Tuesday when she was one of several students allegedly threatened by a classmate who had a butcher knife in his book bag. 

The Department of Education said the incident was reported to school officials. But parents weren't notified until six days later when a letter was sent from the principal.

It said in part: "last week, one of our scholars (students) reported to us in confidence that one of his peers was in possession of a knife. I immediately notified school safety and we were able to recover the item without incident. "

Rivera said parents should have been notified immediately.

Louis Rivera said his worst fear as a father is getting a call that my daughter was hurt.

Lisa, an honor student at the East New York school, said she couldn't go back to school Thursday knowing that the boy who brought the knife was still there.

"I stayed home because I had realized the boy was back and it wasn't safe for me to go while he was there," Lisa said.

Louis Rivera said his daughter and all the other kids in the school are victims.

The Department of Education says that the student has been suspended. Citing privacy, it would not confirm his location.  Fox 5 News has learned that he is at another school facility and could return to his original school.

For Louis Rivera, that's not good enough. He wants his daughter transferred.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • 3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:34:12 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.

  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD probing raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD probing raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:26:06 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
  • Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices