3 safe, firefighter shocked while fighting flames - FOX 35 News Orlando

3 safe, firefighter shocked while fighting flames

Posted: Updated:
MESA, Ariz. -

A firefighter was shocked at a trailer fire near University and 82nd Street early Thursday morning.

Colin Williams, with Rural/Metro Fire Department, says an elderly woman was woken up by the smell of smoke in a single wide trailer. She immediately got her daughter, who is nine months pregnant, and her 3-year-old granddaughter out of the trailer.

Williams says debris and junk in the front yard was a "nightmare." When firefighters were able to get to the trailer, several add ons to the structure made it difficult for crews to get to the heart of the blaze.

Firefighters thought they had secured the power, but Williams says one firefighter was shocked by a wire.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the back of the trailer because of an electrical problem.

The smoke detectors weren't working because the homeowner told firefighters she took out the batteries; it isn't clear why.

There are no major injuries to the firefighter or the three residents, but the trailer was destroyed.

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 10 News for updates.

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices