A 21-year-old man from Bangladesh, who prosecutors say traveled to the United States to kill Americans, is now a convicted terrorist and could spend the rest of his life in prison.
In federal court in Downtown Brooklyn on Thursday, Quazi Mohammed Nafis pleaded guilty to attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction -- a 1,000 pound bomb.
"With this case as well as with a long line of others in this courthouse, we see the continued determination of those abroad to harm our way of life and destroy our populace," said U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch. "He determined ultimately to attack Downtown Manhattan and the Federal Reserve Bank."
In the courtroom, Judge Carol Amon asked Nafis a series of questions. Responding in perfect English, Nafis said he was guilty of attempting to bomb the Federal Reserve Bank and that he intended to commit a violent jihadist act. He added that he no longer supports jihad.
"He pled guilty because he is guilty," said Heidi Cesare, Nafis' court-appointed attorney. "He takes full responsibility for his behavior and he deeply regrets his actions in this case."
The U.S. Attorney said that even though Nafis attempted to recruit others to his terrorist cause, she believes this particular plot has ended.
A new poll conducted by Quinnipiac University found overwhelming opposition to the way the arrest of Eric Garner was handled while the majority support the broken windows policy, which cracks down on low-level crimes to prevent bigger ones from occurring. Garner's death has brought the policy into the spotlight. The Staten Island man had been selling untaxed cigarettes when he was arrested. A police officer placed him in a chokehold and Garner died.