Cubs P Marmol says abuse allegations are 'lies' - FOX 35 News Orlando

Cubs P Marmol says abuse allegations are 'lies'

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Chicago Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol has vigorously defended himself against allegations of domestic assault by a 24-year-old woman in the Dominican Republic.
 
   No criminal charges have been filed against the 30-year-old right-hander, though a civil suit has been filed.
 
   Marmol arrived in training camp Monday and spoke publicly for the first time about the accusations.
 
   He calls them "lies" and says his attorneys are considering a countersuit claiming extortion and seeking jail time for his accuser.
 
   "I didn't do anything," he said. "It is about money. The first thing, when they went to the police, was they asked for money right away. And I know I didn't do anything. . I gave a ride to this girl, and she pretended that I hurt and tried to have sex with her. And I never did that."
 
   Marmol is unsure whether the civil proceedings back home would require him to miss time during spring training to attend hearings.
 
   "They try to hurt me because everybody knows me in the Dominican and in Chicago, too," he said. "They tried to make me scared by trying to hurt my reputation in baseball and my future . (to) get money. But I'm not going to give them my money because I didn't do anything."
 
   The Cubs looked into the allegations when they were first reported and support Marmol's claims.
 
   "All we can do is evaluate it on the merits, and so far what we've seen backs Carlos' story, and we're going to continue to support him," said Theo Epstein, the Cubs' president of baseball operations. "And we expect this matter will be behind us shortly, based on the way it's proceeding in the Dominican courts."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share Your Sports Photos & Video

Submit Your Sports Photos
  • Chicago CubsCubsMore>>

  • Giants win protest, rain-shortened game to resume against Cubs

    Giants win protest, rain-shortened game to resume

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:55 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:55:39 GMT
    The San Francisco Giants have won their protest filed with Major League Baseball, and will now get to resume a rain-shortened game the Chicago Cubs thought they had won.
    The San Francisco Giants have won their protest filed with Major League Baseball, and will now get to resume a rain-shortened game the Chicago Cubs thought they had won.
  • Cubs outlast Giants 2-0 in rain-shortened game

    Cubs outlast Giants 2-0 in rain-shortened game

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:53 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:53:08 GMT
    The San Francisco Giants and the Chicago Cubs played 4 1/2 innings in 6 hours, 9 minutes. And when the game was finally called early Wednesday morning, they still hoped to play some more.
    The San Francisco Giants and the Chicago Cubs played 4 1/2 innings in 6 hours, 9 minutes. And when the game was finally called early Wednesday morning, they still hoped to play some more.
  • Hendricks, Baez help Cubs beat Mets 4-1

    Hendricks, Baez help Cubs beat Mets 4-1

    Monday, August 18 2014 4:39 PM EDT2014-08-18 20:39:17 GMT
    Kyle Hendricks and two relievers held New York to four or fewer hits for the fifth straight game, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez hit long homers, and the Chicago Cubs rallied for a 4-1 victory over the Mets on Monday.
    Kyle Hendricks and two relievers held New York to four or fewer hits for the fifth straight game, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez homered, and the Chicago Cubs rallied for a 4-1 victory over the Mets on Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices