3 men jump on tracks in Manhattan to help stranger - FOX 35 News Orlando

3 men jump on tracks in Manhattan to help stranger

Posted: Updated:

Three good Samaritans jumped onto subway tracks in Manhattan after a stranger fell. They hoisted the man to safety before another train rolled into the station.

The New York Post reports the incident happened Sunday at Columbus Circle. A man in his twenties hit his head and stumbled onto the tracks.

The next train was supposed to arrive in two minutes when Garrett O'Hanlon jumped onto the tracks.

"I couldn't watch a man die. It was such a rush, it happened so quickly — I just had to react," said O'Hanlon, a cadet third class at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., according to the Post. "He was unconscious, he was bleeding, and I couldn't lift him up by myself."

Seeing his struggle, Dennis Codrington jumped in, too. So did Matt Foley. The three worked quickly as the train approached.

Riders waiting on the platform also helped lift the man.

The three men got up just in time.

First responders rushed the unconscious man to a hospital. His condition was unclear.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices