Johan Santana exhibition debut pushed back to mid-March - FOX 35 News Orlando

Johan Santana exhibition debut pushed back to mid-March

Posted: Updated:
Mets pitcher Johan Santana at spring training, Feb. 21, 2013, in Port St. Lucie, Fla. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) Mets pitcher Johan Santana at spring training, Feb. 21, 2013, in Port St. Lucie, Fla. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

Johan Santana's first spring training appearance of the year for the New York Mets has been pushed back until mid-March.

The left-hander does not have any structural damage in his throwing shoulder, but needs more time to build up strength.

"I haven't been on the mound for a while, so it takes time to get everything adjusted again and to get in that pitching mode again," Santana said Friday. "It takes time. It's not a setback at all. It just needs time to build up."

General manager Sandy Alderson said the 33-year old left-hander is expected to pitch in an exhibition game sometime from March 10-12 instead of March 2. Mets manager Terry Collins said he would like to see Santana make four exhibition starts, increasing his pitch count from 45 to 95 pitches in his spring training finale ahead of New York's April 1 opener against San Diego.

"I'm not concerned about it," Collins said. "We have some tentative dates in mind for when he can throw."

After watching Santana throw this week, Collins said he immediately knew that Santana didn't have the arm speed or feel for his pitches that he did at this time last year.

"As we started getting everything ready for the games, it's just going to take a little time," Santana said. "I feel fine, but I've just got to build up my strength in my shoulder and do a little more — play catch and throw long toss to be able to go on the mound.

"To have the games right away and be ready for games, it's going to take longer. We're not trying to rush anything. We're just going to go one step at a time and just wait until the arm feels good and the shoulder feels good in order to go into games."

Alderson said he didn't think Santana will miss the start of the regular season, but said it was a possibility.

"There's no structural issue," Alderson said. "He'll be long-tossing before he gets back on the mound. We expect that his schedule will have been delayed somewhat."

A two-time AL Cy Young Award winner, Santana missed 2011 following shoulder surgery and went 6-9 with a 4.85 ERA in 21 starts last year, when he pitched the first no-hitter in Mets history on June 1 against St. Louis. He didn't pitch after Aug. 17 because of lower back inflammation.

Santana threw off a mound Sunday for the first time since August on Sunday. He said he felt fine after the 20-pitch session and was on track to start the April 1 opener against San Diego.

Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek examined Santana this week.

"We expected he would have had a normal offseason and he did have a normal offseason with the exception of not throwing," Alderson said. "His throwing program is somewhat behind, but the important thing is Altchek saw him yesterday. There's no structural issue. There's no shoulder issue, it's just an overall conditioning issue as it relates to throwing."

Santana gets $25.5 million this year in the final guaranteed season of his $137.5 million, six-year contract. The Mets hold a $25 million option for 2014 with a $5.5 million buyout.

Alderson also said reliever Pedro Feliciano and outfielder Jamie Hoffmann have returned to New York for follow-up exams to their physicals, which took place Sunday. Alderson would not go into detail other than terming the issues "non-orthopedic." He expects the both players to return to camp within two days.

New York said reliever Frank Francisco is expected to begin throwing Monday or Tuesday. Francisco was examined by Altchek on Thursday and Alderson said it was determined there was no structural issues in his surgically repaired right elbow. Francisco has not pitched in more than a week due to inflammation.
   
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Sports NewsSports NewsMore>>

  • Serena Williams top seed at U.S. Open

    Serena Williams top seed at U.S. Open

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-08-20 18:55:24 GMT
    No surprise here: defending U.S. Open champion Serena Williams is the top seed at Flushing Meadows this year, the USTA announced. Williams is ranked No. 1 in the world right now. She has won the U.S. Open women's singles title five times, including the last two.
    No surprise here: defending U.S. Open champion Serena Williams is the top seed at Flushing Meadows this year, the USTA announced. Williams is ranked No. 1 in the world right now. She has won the U.S. Open women's singles title five times, including the last two.
  • New York Islanders to be sold

    New York Islanders to be sold

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-08-19 18:54:30 GMT
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
  • Security beefed up at Yankee Stadium

    Security beefed up at Yankee Stadium

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-08-19 12:24:30 GMT
    Security is being beefed up at Yankee Stadium this week. It is all part of Major League Baseball's safety plan. Ticketholders going to Tuesday night's game against the Houston Astros will notice metal detectors in place at some of the gates. They'll be asked to remove cellphones and large metal objects from their pockets before walking through them.
    Security is being beefed up at Yankee Stadium this week. It is all part of Major League Baseball's safety plan. Ticketholders going to Tuesday night's game against the Houston Astros will notice metal detectors in place at some of the gates. They'll be asked to remove cellphones and large metal objects from their pockets before walking through them.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices