Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion - FOX 35 News Orlando

Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday. Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday.
Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion. Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion.
HADDON HEIGHTS, N.J. -

The Camden County Fire Marshal has confirmed a natural gas leak is to blame for the explosion that demolished a Haddon Heights three-story home Saturday.

The explosion happened Saturday afternoon inside one of the apartments of the home on the 100 block of Whitehorse Pike.

Two people were injured with second degree burns.

According to the fire marshal, a leaking natural gas line to an appliance ignited when one of the tenants turned on her stove.

The 26-year-old woman was hospitalized at Crozer Chester Medical Center and is still in critical condition, the fire marshal said.

Neighbors say the explosion shook homes for blocks around.

On Sunday, dozens of neighbors stopped by the home to take pictures of what little was left of the Victorian home, which was converted into five apartment units.

The explosion left as many as six people homeless.

A cleanup crew spent an hour Sunday sweeping glass off the street. Firefighters say the explosion caused glass to fly as far as a block away.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Pennsbury East and West High Schools Lockdown Lifted

    Pennsbury East and West High Schools Lockdown Lifted

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:48 AM EDT2014-04-16 13:48:13 GMT
    Pennsbury High School East and West has lifted a lockdown placed on the school after an unidentified individual was spotted in the building at 8:45am.
    Pennsbury High School East and West have lifted a lockdown placed on the school after an unidentified individual was spotted in the building at 8:45am.
  • Chestnut Hill Student Found Dead In Dorm

    Chestnut Hill Student Found Dead In Dorm

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:12 PM EDT2014-04-16 16:12:07 GMT
    Philadelphia Police found 22-year old Bradley David Amerman, a senior business major, not breathing and pronounced him dead at the scene.
    Philadelphia Police found 22-year old Bradley David Amerman, a senior business major, not breathing and pronounced him dead at the scene.
  • Fire Crews Battle 2-Alarm Fire in Folcroft

    Fire Crews Battle 2-Alarm Fire in Folcroft

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-04-16 14:47:07 GMT
    SkyFOX flew over the 2900 block of Heather Road when the bulk of the fire was knocked off. Fire crews arrived to the scene just before 7a.m.
    SkyFOX flew over the 2900 block of Heather Road when the bulk of the fire was knocked off. Fire crews arrived to the scene just before 7a.m.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices