A fire destroyed two homes in southeast Atlanta on Monday.Authorities say a large tree fell on top of a home on Patterson Street and Memorial, bringing down power lines and gas lines, which sparked the fire shortly after noon. No injuries were reported, but Albert Appling says the blaze wiped out a huge part of his family's history.Albert Appling said he moved into the home in 1964, and that it originally belonged to his mother.Albert said that his daughter – the third generation of the family to live in the house – had just left on Monday morning when neighbors heard a loud noise. "She wouldn't have survived. If anybody was in that house, even if they would've been in the kitchen, they wouldn't have survived that," said Albert Appling.The Yelvertons ran outside to find a tree from their yard had fallen on top of the house next door."It was demolished, totally down to the basement," said Charles Yelverton.The tree brought down power lines and broke open a gas line. Within minutes, the Appling house was on fire.Stephanie Yelverton said that her family escaped their home before it too caught fire. "No one was hurt, that's the most important thing. No one was hurt. These are just material things. So we'll move on...we'll survive, we'll be fine," Yelverton said. The Red Cross was assisting the two families displaced by the fire.
35 Skyline DriveLake Mary, FL 32746
Phone: (407) 644-3535News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35