A simple case of strep throat led to a host of medical challenges for a Gilbert boy. Family members say strep bacteria got into his bloodstream and there were severe complications.
A fundraiser is now planned for the boy fighting for the right to live like most kids his age.
Logan is a brave 8-year-old facing several medical challenges. Last June he got sick with strep throat. It took an unexpected turn, unlike any case you've heard about.
"That strep bacteria got into his bloodstream and causes septic shock, causes widespread inflammation throughout the body," says mother Candace Carson.
His kidneys shut down. His heart began failing.
"He had a rash like pinpoint bruises all over his chest and arms."
Doctors at Cardon Children's Hospital found small blood clots covering his body, killing his tissues.
"He also had multiple patches of skin on his feet hands arms and legs that turned black, as well as the whole area of his face, his eye," says Carson. "His right eye looked kind of like a fish eye in the market. It wasn't viable anymore. It was a dead eye."
"It got bacteria. My eye did," says Logan.
Logan also lost two fingers and his foot. He spent four months at a San Diego hospital enduring skin grafts. He now walks with a prosthesis.
"The recurring theme throughout all this is it's going to get worse before it gets better. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that."
Logan still needs a kidney transplant and reconstructive surgery. It hasn't stopped this brave young man from going back to school part-time. The best part of being back in school?
"Having my own teacher back again, just my teacher," says Logan.
Now, Logan's busy living the life of an 8-year-old.
Members of the community are raising money for his massive medical expenses by holding a big motorcycle ride next weekend in Mesa. Logan is excited about the ride.
"Because they just have two wheels and they have engines," he explains.
Logan's ride happens Saturday the 30th. Proceeds from the event will go towards Logan's medical expenses and also benefit Cardon Children's Hospital.