In its first meeting with new members, the DeKalb County School Board voted to drop a lawsuit against the state.
The board voted 9-0 to terminate their involvement in the lawsuit the previous board had filed. The suit challenged Gov. Nathan Deal's authority to remove them from office and appoint the new group of board members.
"It's just a matter of moving forward, turning their page, moving forward. The litigation itself will continue with the board members who are fighting that battle, but our job is to focus on educating our children," said interim Superintendent Michael Thurmond.
The three-hour meeting focused on the business of running a school district.
"It feels different in that we're moving forward and we're not dealing with a lot of the negative things that we've had to deal with in the few weeks. It's a joy that we can put children first and move forward," said Board Chair Melvin Johnson
Parents who called for the removal of the old board said they see a difference.
"I think that they've demonstrated in just this one meeting a lot more thought and careful consideration and boardsmanship than I'd seen previously," said Jennifer Hatfield.
One of the reason SACS cited when putting the district on probation was the dysfunction of the previous board. Parents and board members hope Wednesday's businesslike meeting is a sign of things to come.