Road Rage Incident, Shooting Prompts Evacuation Of Neighborhood - FOX 35 News Orlando

Road Rage Incident, Shooting Prompts Evacuation Of Neighborhood

Posted: Updated:
Philadelphia police officers and members of the department's SWAT team are seen near the 900 block of Reno Street in Philadelphia. (Picture tweeted by reporter Chris O'Connell) Philadelphia police officers and members of the department's SWAT team are seen near the 900 block of Reno Street in Philadelphia. (Picture tweeted by reporter Chris O'Connell)
Members of the SWAT team spent two hours searching for the second shooter. Members of the SWAT team spent two hours searching for the second shooter.
PHILADELPHIA -

Police say a case of road rage is the reason behind a wild Sunday afternoon shootout in the Fairmount section of the city.

Philadelphia police say two men got into an argument that escalated into an exchange of gunfire. No one was injured but the incident forced the SWAT team to be called in and left a neighborhood rattled.

One of the two men who opened fire is a private security officer who happened to be wearing a bullet proof vest and carrying a gun.

"I was just passing him by. He was in the turning lane and he just started firing" said the man, who asked not to be identified.

The man says there was a close call when the two drivers merged into one lane near the corner of 13th and Melon Streets. He says he then saw a man start shooting so he returned fire.

"I fired my weapon in return after he fired at me multiple times. My vehicle was struck at least seven times" the man said.

His gold Mercury sedan was riddled with bullet holes.

The man told police he then chased the car to the 900 Block of Reno Place, where a man jumped out and ran into the Richard Allen public housing complex.

"He claims that he had been fired upon by a male who ran into one of the properties here," said Philadelphia police Chief Inspector Joseph Sullivan.

SWAT teams converged on the neighborhood for two hours, going door-to-door searching for the second gunman.

A dozen homes were evacuated, but no suspects were found. The show of police force had neighbors shaken.

"They said make everybody come out with their hands up. So I made everybody come out with their hands up. I said (to police) 'put the guns down they're kids. They're babies,'" said homeowner Gail Thomas.

Police eventually gave the all clear and residents returned to their homes.

Police sources tell FOX 29 the security guard, who works as a contracted officer at a local federal government building, will not be charged. They also say he has a concealed carry permit for a firearm.

Police are still interviewing witnesses and reviewing nearby surveillance video. Detectives believe they know the identity of the gunman.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
  • Beautiful Easter Sunday

    Saturday, April 19 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-04-20 00:09:12 GMT

    NICE EASTER WEEKEND

    The first half of the holiday weekend has been great and Easter Sunday looks just as nice. Clouds thin out late tonight with temperatures falling back to the 40s.

    Initially it'll be jacket weather early Sunday morning but plenty of sunshine will warm us into the 60s by afternoon.  High temperatures will be a few degrees cooler than Saturday.

    It will be noticeably cooler and breezy at the shore with highs in the low 50s.  Quiet conditions continue into Monday.

  • Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:38:03 GMT
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices