Number of people treated at hospitals following Marathon bombings grows to at least 264
BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – Public health officials are now saying that at least 264 people sought treatment at hospitals for injuries sustained in the Boston Marathon bombings.
Authorities had been saying that about 180 people were injured, but that was just victims brought to hospitals in the immediate aftermath of the April 15 explosions. Three people were killed and at least 14 people lost all or part of a limb.
The Boston Public Health Commission says the larger number includes people who delayed seeking treatment. For example, some people had ringing in their ears from the blasts and thought it might go away, but it persisted for several days. Other people sought delayed treatment for minor shrapnel wounds. Twenty-seven different hospitals treated the injured.
The commission said as of Tuesday, 51 people were still hospitalized.