Governor not sure about texting ban - FOX 35 News Orlando

Governor not sure about texting ban

Posted: Updated:
SANFORD, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -

Florida Governor Rick Scott visited Orlando Monday, likely for the final time. Touring a manufacturing plant in Sanford, the governor refused to answer our question about whether or not he would sign a bill that bans texting and driving.

"Well as a parent, and now a grandparent, you worry about people texting and driving," Gov. Scott said.  "So, I look forward to seeing that, seeing that bill when it gets to my desk."

After passing the Florida Senate early in the session, the bill is likely to be heard in the full House on Tuesday.  Rep. David Hood, R-Daytona Beach Shores, says he thinks this finally the year.

"We've got clear evidence and proof that texting while driving impairs the safety and the health of our citizens, so it ought to be done.  But then again we spent two hours last week debating on whether you should be able to use your EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card for strippers or hookers, so sometimes good ideas just take time to percolate."

Critics say the texting while driving ban has plenty of holes in it.  For example, it will be a secondary offense, meaning police will not be able to just pull someone over for texting, there will have to be another infraction. First time offenders would also only face a 30 dollar fine and no points off their license.

Law enforcement officials also point out it will be difficult to tell the difference, or prove in court without a subpoena whether or not a person was actually texting, or simply looking at their phone.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

 
 

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices