A young girl helped her family by calling 911 after her home caught fire on Wednesday morning.
Two families were evacuated from a duplex near Pecos Road and Arizona Avenue after it caught fire around 3:30 a.m.
8-year-old Rufina Hilario thought fast and called 911 when a smoke alarm woke her family up.
"They told us to call 911 when it's an emergency. I told my dad if I could call 911 and after that he said yeah," says Rufina.
Chandler firefighters say everyone was able to get out when the home's smoke alarms went off. The duplex received the alarms about six months ago when Chandler Fire Department went through the neighborhood to install them.
Rufina's father doesn't speak English, so she played a key role in making sure firefighters got to the home quickly.
"I helped my mom and dad, took out the little kids and then my dad went to get the birth certificates and everything else and that's when the little alarm thing started going off," she says.
According to fire investigators, the fire started in an utility room outside of the home and quickly spread to the attic, right above the kids' bedrooms.
"I thought they got burned but then they didn't, it was only smoke coming in," says Cecelia Hilario.
The other family in the duplex will be allowed back into their home. The Hilario family will move into a vacant duplex next door.
The damage to their home is pretty bad, but they know things could've been much worse if they didn't have a working smoke detector.