Homeowner Trying To Get Rid Of Bedbugs Accidentally Starts Fire - FOX 35 News Orlando

Homeowner Trying To Get Rid Of Bedbugs Accidentally Starts Fire

Posted: Updated:
WOODBURY, N.J. -

A homeowner trying to get rid of bed bugs sets the whole house on fire in South Jersey. Several people were hurt, including firefighters.

"They were just boarding everything up," says Thomas Lanigan, when he came home Tuesday morning after hearing his neighbor's house was on fire. They live on Penn Street in Woodbury.

"The house looked salvageable after the initial fire 'cause it looked like it was contained to one bedroom and the attic was slightly scorched but now it's done."

Fire officials say the fire started after the people who lived at the house tried to get rid of bed bugs using a space heater, heat gun and hair dryer.

Fire crews say they put it out and left but had to return because the fire reignited.

"A half hour after they left, just more flames, more smoke," said Lanigan.

A man who lives at the house in question was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The house appears to be a total loss.

"Its just sad, it's devastating to them," said Lanigan.

In the end, at least five firefighters were hurt, but fortunately with non-life-threatening injuries.

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices