Girl catches baby from burning building; fire displaces 14 - FOX 35 News Orlando

Girl catches baby tossed from burning building; fire displaces 14

Posted: Updated:
DECATUR, Ga. -

Several people, including some children, were injured after a fire at a Decatur apartment complex on Thursday. One young girl's heroic actions helped to save an infant from the fire.

Witnesses said a grease fire started in the kitchen of a unit at an apartment located at 3801 N. Decatur Road around 5 p.m.

A 1-month-old infant was thrown out of the window by her mother to young Zna Gresham.

"When I was coming out, I saw our neighbor from the upper floor. She was dropping her baby and I had caught one of them," Gresham said. "I was kind of scared, and then I felt kind of happy."

The infant is being checked out as a precaution.

Firefighters also had to rescue several adults from the building.

Several adults were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, while the other children – aged 2 and 3 -- went to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.

All of the injured are expected to recover.

Seven adults and seven children were left homeless by the fire.

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices