Uncertainty for wrongfully convicted man suing bankrupt Detroit - FOX 35 News Orlando

Uncertainty for wrongfully convicted man suing bankrupt Detroit

Posted: Updated:
  • Detroit BankruptcyMore>>

  • Detroit files plan to fix debt, leave bankruptcy

    Detroit files plan to fix debt, leave bankruptcy

    Friday, February 21 2014 12:49 PM EST2014-02-21 17:49:57 GMT
    Detroit's emergency financial manager filed a plan Friday that would bring the city out of bankruptcy, providing a detailed look at what the Motor City would look like when it finally sheds its financial burdens.
    Detroit's emergency financial manager filed a plan Friday that would bring the city out of bankruptcy, providing for the first time a detailed look at what the Motor City would look like when it finally sheds its financial burdens.
  • Gov. Snyder: 'Detroit's comeback is underway'

    Gov. Snyder: 'Detroit's comeback is underway'

    Friday, February 21 2014 11:35 AM EST2014-02-21 16:35:28 GMT
    Gov. Rick Snyder issued the following statement today on the filing of a plan of adjustment by  Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr that is part of the city's restructuring.
    Gov. Rick Snyder issued the following statement today on the filing of a plan of adjustment by  Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr that is part of the city's restructuring under Chapter 9 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
  • $350 million on the table for Detroit, judge needed to approve Barclay's loan

    $350 million on the table for Detroit, judge needed to approve Barclay's loan

    Wednesday, November 6 2013 3:03 PM EST2013-11-06 20:03:18 GMT
    On Tuesday, the city of Detroit asked a federal judge to approve its deal to borrow up to $350 million to help the city pay off some of its debts and to provide city services.
    On Tuesday, the city of Detroit asked a federal judge to approve its deal to borrow up to $350 million to help the city pay off some of its debts and to provide city services.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Dwayne Provience spent nearly ten years behind bars for a crime he did not commit. He sued Detroit in 2010, and just as his lawsuit was gaining momentum, the city filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection.

"When the breaking news came in a month ago about the ... bankruptcy, right then and there I already knew my suit was about to go on hold," he said.

The lawsuit, which includes a Detroit cop accused of withholding evidence, would have likely made Provience a millionaire.

A mediation panel said the city should pay Provience $5 million. Now like other unsecured creditors, he may end up pocketing a fraction of that amount.

"It seemed like a slap in the face because when I was released, there wasn't even an apology from the City of Detroit or the police department, and for this to happen again, it's a double slap in the face," Provience said.

"If there's a hell on earth, he was in it," said attorney Wolf Mueller.

Provience and his lawyer have been fighting the case for three years now. Mueller said the bankruptcy filing may add one more.

"Dwayne recognizes that he's blessed to be out, and he's fortunate, but on the other hand, he should be compensated for the ten years of prison that he missed his kids growing up," the attorney said.

In the meantime, Provience is taking the situation in stride. He works as a physical trainer helping people with serious injuries get their lives back on track. The question is will Detroit do the same for him?

We placed several calls to Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr's office for comment. So far, those calls have not been returned.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • LIVE VIDEO: Hearing to decide if 4 face trial in mob attack on Steve Utash

    LIVE VIDEO: Hearing to decide if 4 face trial in mob attack on Steve Utash

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:29:38 GMT
    Four males ages 17 to 30 are in court for a hearing on whether they should stand trial for the severe beating of a suburban man who accidentally struck a 10-year-old with his pickup truck on Detroit's east side. WATCH LIVE COVERAGE.
    Four males ages 17 to 30 are in court for a hearing on whether they should stand trial for the severe beating of a suburban man who accidentally struck a 10-year-old with his pickup truck on Detroit's east side. WATCH LIVE COVERAGE.
  • Clutch Cargo's returns to religious roots

    Clutch Cargo's returns to religious roots

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:54 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:54:45 GMT
    Clutch Cargo's, a southeastern Michigan church building that spent several years as a nightclub, reopened as a house of worship on Easter Sunday.
    Clutch Cargo's, a southeastern Michigan church building that spent several years as a nightclub, reopened as a house of worship on Easter Sunday.
  • Kraft Foods recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners

    Kraft Foods recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:51 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:51:36 GMT
    Kraft Foods is recalling approximately 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners because the products may contain Classic Cheese Dogs in the Classic Wieners' packages.
    Kraft Foods is recalling approximately 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners because the products may contain Classic Cheese Dogs in the Classic Wieners' packages.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices