Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass - FOX 35 News Orlando

Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass

Posted: Updated:
Jeff Johnson Jeff Johnson
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson was mowing his lawn on Euclid in Detroit near Linwood and Dexter. He was wearing a Star of David necklace that was a gift from his wife.

"I got this for him for Hanukkah probably about seven years ago, and he's wore it ever since," Shoshanah Johnson said.

His wife paid $2,500 for the necklace.

"It's a very nice chain, an Italian chain, actually it came straight from Italy. I had it made for my husband. 18 karat gold," she said.

As Jeff was mowing at 4:30 p.m. on a Saturday, video shows two guys walking up. One of them stole his necklace.

"Two gentlemen ran by me and snatched my necklace off my neck while I'm pushing the mower," he said. "They were both wearing baseball caps, and I chased after them in the truck."

"Detroit Police responded about 25 minutes later."

Jeff said the guys split up and ran off in different directions. He lost them.

We first met the Johnson family a month ago. They were trying to find out who owned the vacant and crumbling house next door. Since our story aired, Jeff said he has been contacted by the city and he believes progress is in place to have the house demolished.

Jeff moved his family here from Miami seven months ago in large part to experience what he sees as a rebirth of Detroit.

"Hopefully that man knows what he did was wrong. I'm not trying to accept that, but I have to come up with something in my mind to where I just don't lose all hope, and it's not easy. I've never been robbed in my front yard," he said.

"We're here to stay. Detroit is going to come back. We're going to build up, and we're going to do good," Shoshanah said. "Just like the new police commissioner says, those little punks that do these crimes, they're getting out of here. They're going to be gone. I believe that."

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Detroit police seek missing Amber Smith, 29

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:18:21 GMT
    Detroit police are asking for the public's help locating 29-year-old Amber Smith.

YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:08:59 GMT
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.

Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:53:37 GMT

The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning. Follow live Tweets from the courtroom here. >>
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices