Child dies after eating laundry packet - FOX 35 News Orlando

Child dies after eating laundry packet

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

An infant in central Florida died last week after accidentally eating a packet of concentrated laundry detergent, the state's Department of Children and Families said.

The death of the 7-month-old boy is believed to be the first associated with single-dose liquid detergent packets, which have been involved in a rash of unintentional ingestion by babies and toddlers since becoming widely available in the U.S. early last year. It heightens the stakes as consumer-products companies such as Procter & Gamble Co. try to stop the problem by modifying their packaging and warning consumers.

The brand of detergent in the Florida case was All Mighty Pacs Free & Clear, made by Sun Products Corp., people familiar with the matter said. The detergent packets were colorless.

Kathryn Corbally, Sun Products' director of corporate affairs, said the company hadn't been notified directly by authorities but had heard that its product was involved. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the child who died," Ms. Corbally said. She said the company takes safety seriously.

Since the start of this year, poison-control centers across the country have reported 5,753 cases of children 5 years old and under being accidentally exposed to single-dose detergent packets made by companies including P&G, Henkel AG and others. That was close to the 6,231 cases reported for all of last year.

Some poison-center directors have cited the laundry packets' resemblance to candy as a factor in some accidents. In many cases, parents or caregivers left the detergent packets within reach of their children, who swallowed the detergent or got it in their eyes when thin films encasing the highly concentrated liquid burst.

Some of the injuries have been serious, causing symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, breathing difficulties and corneal abrasions. Some children had to be hospitalized for days and intubated to help them breathe. Until the Florida incident, however, none was known to have died.

The Florida incident was reported earlier by the Orlando Sentinel. It involved a baby boy and his mother, who were staying in a shelter for battered women, according to the article. The mother had placed detergent packets inside a laundry basket on a bed, stepped away and when she returned, found her son eating the detergent, the newspaper reported.

  • Your MoneyMore>>

  • Monitoring your kids' driving in real time

    Monitoring your kids' driving in real time

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:46:07 GMT
    Many new Ford and GM cars have built-in technology that allows you to monitor speed, signaling, and navigation when your child is driving. But when it comes to this type of digital snooping, teens and their parents often have differing opinions. Kids may call it an invasion of privacy. Most parents, of course, will likely feel otherwise.
    Many new Ford and GM cars have built-in technology that allows you to monitor speed, signaling, and navigation when your child is driving. But when it comes to this type of digital snooping, teens and their parents often have differing opinions. Kids may call it an invasion of privacy. Most parents, of course, will likely feel otherwise.
  • Glamsquad app

    Hair and makeup house call

    Hair and makeup house call

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 10:27 PM EDT2014-08-27 02:27:35 GMT
    A new app is bringing the star treatment to the masses. Glamsquad delivers a hair and makeup artist to your doorstep.I invited them over to my place. Kelly did my makeup and Erin styled my mane. They helped me select a look from examples on the app and they encouraged me to tweak the looks to fit my style.
    A new app is bringing the star treatment to the masses. Glamsquad delivers a hair and makeup artist to your doorstep.I invited them over to my place. Kelly did my makeup and Erin styled my mane. They helped me select a look from examples on the app and they encouraged me to tweak the looks to fit my style.
  • Passing on your online accounts after you die

    Passing on your online accounts after you die

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 10:07 PM EDT2014-08-27 02:07:19 GMT
    Your Facebook page or email could soon be passed on in a will just like physical property. Delaware is the first state to allow heirs access to their loved ones' digital legacies. Pedram Tabibi, a social media attorney, says in many cases this can be vital information, like banking and health data. He says current terms and conditions for websites such as Apple, Amazon, and Google won't let an account get passed onto someone else.
    Your Facebook page or email could soon be passed on in a will just like physical property. Delaware is the first state to allow heirs access to their loved ones' digital legacies. Pedram Tabibi, a social media attorney, says in many cases this can be vital information, like banking and health data. He says current terms and conditions for websites such as Apple, Amazon, and Google won't let an account get passed onto someone else.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices