Brighton father will receive cancer treatment during shutdown - FOX 35 News Orlando

Brighton father will receive cancer treatment during shutdown

Posted: Updated:
BRIGHTON, Mich. (WJBK) -

The Brighton father who was denied a possible life-saving cancer treatment during the government shutdown will now receive the treatment.

Mark Howell, 31, was diagnosed with stage-four melanoma just two weeks after his son was born about a year ago. The cancer has continued to grow and spread, and Howell's body is not responding to chemotherapy. Doctors are recommending an aggressive procedure to attack the cancer that is only available at the National Institute of Cancer in Maryland.

The procedure is funded federally and became unavailable to Howell once the government shut down earlier this week.

"We were shocked," Howell's wife Christina tells Fox 2's Erika Erickson. Howell adds, "It was news to us when we found out that the place we were trying to go is now shut down, and not accepting new patients."

Howell and his family were ready to move on to 'Plan B,' a procedure at a cancer facility in Houston that is still more aggressive than chemo, but less aggressive than the procedure available in Maryland.

But now Howell's gleam of hope is back. After seeing Howell's story on Fox 2 Wednesday the community's support poured in.

That night Congressman Mike Rogers sent a letter to the director of the National Institute of Health.

 "Within two hours of that letter supposedly going out I had a phone call from Dr. Rosenberg, who's the treating physician at NCI that we wanted to see," Howell says. Then Senator Debbie Stabenow even gave him a call.

Howell and his wife describe the amount of concerns and support that poured in from fellow Fox 2 viewers: "Offering up advice, different treatment they're aware of, donations, just their prayers and thoughts, kind of all of the above. So it's been a very overwhelming few days for us in terms of support and love from everybody," Howell says.

Howell has an appointment Tuesday at the NCI.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:01 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:01:01 GMT
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices