Two adult men and a teenaged girl are in critical condition, after a freak accident sent a massive jolt of electricity through their bodies.
It happened at the Bellmawr Manor Apartments in Bellmawr, New Jersey.
Family members of one of the victims are demanding answers as to how this could have happened.
From what we can piece together, this all began as an argument that led to a set of keys being tossed onto the second floor roof of the Bellmawr Manor Apartments.
Jose Figueroa stood just across the street from the PSE&G crews that spent the morning combing the accident scene for clues measuring everything in sight, but he might as well have been miles away.
Authorities say Jose's brother Julio, also known as "Papi," was among three good Samaritans who tried to retrieve a set of keys from the second floor roof of the Bellmawr Manor apartments Sunday afternoon, when the ladder they were using made contact with power lines connected to the building. All three suffered massive electrical shock.
Figueroa wonders whether the power lines were so close to a windows and a roffline easily reached by ladder could have been covered in some kind of protective sheathing.
"Our question is, are these wires- that are so powerful- supposed to be protected, instead of just exposed like that," Figueroa said.
"If you've got wires like that, anybody could get electrocuted. Anybody has a ladder. And you have an apartment complex, a kid might have a ball on the roof and go to retrieve it and get shocked."
Among those injured in the accident is another neighborhood helper-18-year-old Selena Walker.
Jose Figueroa says his brother suffered brain damage when the voltage coursed through his body. It's not clear how much organ and tissue damage was done. Family members have gathered to be by his bedside.
"We wait and we pray and we pray some more that the outcome is going to be favorable. We leave it in God's hands at this point," Figueroa said.