Nativity scenes out at Guantanamo dining halls - FOX 35 News Orlando

Nativity scenes out at Guantanamo dining halls

Posted: Updated:
Troops eat lunch near a nativity scene at the Guantanamo Bay naval base, Wednesday, Dec, 18, 2013. Some troops have complained that nativity scenes and Christmas decorations at two dining facilities.(AP Photo/Ben Fox) Troops eat lunch near a nativity scene at the Guantanamo Bay naval base, Wednesday, Dec, 18, 2013. Some troops have complained that nativity scenes and Christmas decorations at two dining facilities.(AP Photo/Ben Fox)

By BEN FOX

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) — The commander of the Guantanamo Bay naval base decided Wednesday to move Nativity scenes from two dining halls following complaints that the decorations improperly promoted Christianity.

Both Nativity scenes will be moved to the courtyard of the base chapel, said Kelly Wirfel, a spokeswoman for Capt. John Nettleton, commander of the base in southeastern Cuba.

The displays were set up by foreign contractors who manage the two dining facilities and were "not intended to endorse any religion," Wirfel said in response to concerns raised by the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.

The group, which advocates for religious freedom in the U.S. military, had said earlier that it had been approached by troops who felt the Nativity scenes and Christmas decorations were inappropriate.

Wirfel said base officials had received no complaints about the displays. Mikey Weinstein, president of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, said the organization received an email from 18 service members who were afraid that any direct appeal to commanders would be ignored and result in retribution.

"They are terrified. Right now, there is a witch hunt going on to find out who did this," said Weinstein, a former Air Force lawyer who said the troops wanted to remain anonymous.

Eleven of those who complained are Protestant or Roman Catholic and the rest are Muslim, Jewish, agnostic or atheist, he said.

The base has a population of nearly 6,000 military and civilian personnel. Outside the coils of razor wire surrounding an area where nearly 160 prisoners are held, the base has set up many exterior displays of Christmas lights and other decorations along wide streets, creating the feel of a typical suburban American town in December.

The challenged decorations are inside two dining facilities, one of which is used primarily by people who work inside the prison such as guards and translators. An email sent to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation from the troops said the Nativity scenes went up in late November in the center of the eating area and no other religions were represented despite the presence of other faiths on the base.

"By placing these displays in prominent common areas, the impression is that one faith is better than others and that the military institution singularly promotes Christianity," said the email, provided to The Associated Press by the organization without the names of the senders.

The email said prominent members of their command had shown "Christian religious undertones," which led them to believe they could not complain directly about the decorations.

The senders said they put up with a great deal of hardship in their jobs, including having bodily fluids hurled at them by prisoners, and should not be made uncomfortable on their time off.

"We would prefer to not have a large deal made out of this situation and only ask that these clear violations of military policy, and the Constitution, be removed immediately," the email said.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Summary

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
  • Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:26:19 GMT
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
  • Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:06:40 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices