Mothers are fed up with Newark violence - FOX 35 News Orlando

Mothers are fed up with Newark violence

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

The woman they call the godmother of Newark raised six kids on her own. Now Donna Jackson is trying to save other children's lives. With the murder rate at its highest level in more than 20 years, she's on an urgent mission.

Sidewalk memorials to murder victims are common sights in Newark. It is even more so this year, with the Newark murder rate hitting 110, according to the Essex County prosecutor. That is the highest number since 1990.

Jackson told me she is outraged. She volunteers as a community counselor and motivator. She monitors police radios on her spare phone, gathers and sends out alerts about crimes in progress, and offers help to grieving families with fellow volunteer Cassandra Dock. She believes it has gotten harder and harder for kids to escape the deadly gunfire.

Hundreds turned out to say goodbye to Reginald Terry, an 18-year-old college honors student and former high school football star, who was shot and killed shielding a young woman from random gunfire.

Minutes away on another street, the mother of murdered 15-year-old Kasson Morman, called for more police protection.

As a mother and grandmother, Jackson knows she can't heal the broken hearts, but she can help grieving parents navigate through the paperwork that comes after their child is murdered.

Despite everything she sees, the godmother of Newark still believes there is good in everyone. But Jackson also believes changing things won't be easy, but it can be done.

Mayor Luis Quintana Monday evening issued a statement saying that the city was fast-tracking the process to get more police officers on the streets and also to team up with other law enforcement agencies.

"Our entire city is mourning the loss of life due to gun violence which has negatively impacted our city during this holiday season," Quintana said. "We are listening to and agree with the concerns of our communities. The number one priority of my administration has been since day one, and continues to be, to address the public safety needs of our residents."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices