End of line for horse-drawn carriages in NYC? - FOX 35 News Orlando

End of line for horse-drawn carriages in NYC?

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Some tourists just love New York City's horses that draw the Victorian-style carriages. During the holiday season a steady stream of tourists takes the expensive, but iconic horse carriage ride through Central Park.

But probably not for long. Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio reiterated his position on what he calls animal cruelty. He said his administration will shut down the industry.

Some tourists we spoke to seem dismayed.

But animal-rights activists, who backed candidate de Blasio for mayor, are overjoyed.

When de Blasio becomes mayor Wednesday he cannot declare horse carriage rides illegal. But a bill is before the City Council. If the council passes the bill and de Blasio signs it, it could close down the horse carriage industry.

Carriage drivers and owners made a public request of the new mayor: come meet with us and the horses and see where they live and how they are treated.

No word from the de Blasio camp. The mayor-elect has suggested that old-style electric cars could replace the carriages. That would mean no pollution and no horses.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices