Fire kills girl during power outage; candle blamed - FOX 35 News Orlando

Fire kills girl during power outage; candle blamed

Posted: Updated:

MILLEN, Ga. (AP) - Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation.

Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday.

Allen said the father escaped the burning home but went back inside to try and rescue his daughter, and that's when he was injured.

Allen said the family was using a generator and a space heater to stay warm, but fire investigators determined that an unattended candle in a bathroom sparked the blaze.

The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices