Firefighters battle duplex fire in Dunnellon - FOX 35 News Orlando

Firefighters battle duplex fire in Dunnellon

Posted: Updated:
MARION COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) - Marion County Fire Rescue crews' quick firefighting on Friday afternoon saved a Rainbow Acres duplex; one unit is salvageable.

Dispatchers received the emergency call at 12:42 p.m. The caller advised of an escaped stove fire at 5059 SW 196th Ave., Dunnellon. The first of six MCFR units arrived on scene at 12:51 p.m. Firefighters quickly entered the home, contained the grease fire to the kitchen and had it out within eight minutes. There were no injuries.

Last year MCFR responded to 38 kitchen fires, which are dangerous and can become very large, very quickly. Here are quick tips for containing a stove fire, but it's not a substitute for calling 911:
  • First, never put water on a grease fire. The water will spread the fire, not extinguish it.
  • Always have a pan lid and an oven mitt nearby when cooking.
  • If a small fire ignites, cut off the fire's oxygen by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
  • MCFR also recommends keeping a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and calling 911 after extinguishing a fire to be sure it hasn't spread.

Follow us on Pinterest



FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices