Oil-soaked towels start fire at retirement home - FOX 35 News Orlando

Oil-soaked towels start fire at retirement home

Posted: Updated:
  • Crime & JusticeMore>>

  • Upskirt video victim speaks out

    Upskirt video victim speaks out

    Clinton HollisterClinton Hollister
    A woman who says she was one of the victims of a man videotaping up women's skirts is speaking out about that awful experience.She says she knew something wasn't right when the man kept creeping up to her in the aisles of the store.
    A woman who says she was one of the victims of a man videotaping up women's skirts is speaking out about that awful experience.She says she knew something wasn't right when the man kept creeping up to her in the aisles of the store.
  • Man indicted in fatal freeway crash in Gilbert

    Man indicted in fatal freeway crash in Gilbert

    A man has been indicted in a freeway crash last year that killed a passenger in his car and injured an Arizona Department of Public Safety worker.
    A man has been indicted in a freeway crash last year that killed a passenger in his car and injured an Arizona Department of Public Safety worker.
  • Tempe police uncover heroin operation after traffic stop

    Tempe police uncover heroin operation after traffic stop

    Tempe Police say they busted a heroin smuggling operation.Officers first discovered during a traffic stop Tuesday.The whole thing happened near Southern Price in a neighborhood just east of the intersection.
    Tempe Police say they busted a heroin smuggling operation.Officers first discovered during a traffic stop Tuesday.The whole thing happened near Southern Price in a neighborhood just east of the intersection.

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities say oil-soaked towels started a fire at a Tucson-area retirement home, forcing the evacuation of six units as smoke filled a three-story building's first floor.

Northwest Fire District firefighters put out the fire Friday morning after being alerted by a water-flow alarm at the Amber Lights independent living facility.

The building's fire sprinklers put out most of the fire, and firefighters extinguished the rest and then used fans to ventilate the building.

A fire inspector determined that the fire started accidentally after a large pile of towels ignited due to a chemical reaction. The towels had been used to clean and recoat doors with linseed oil.

The sprinkler system left 3 inches of water in some areas of the building. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices