GM won't limit ignition switch crash compensation - FOX 35 News Orlando

GM won't limit ignition switch crash compensation

Posted: Updated:
  • GM RecallMore>>

  • More than 600 file lawsuit against GM over ignition switches

    More than 600 file lawsuit against GM over ignition switches

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 4:04 PM EDT2014-07-30 20:04:48 GMT
    Another legal bump in the road for General Motors. Now, a lawsuit has been filed by more than 600 people. They say they had GM cars recalled for faulty ignition switches and suffered injures, or are related to someone who died in a crash. They filed the lawsuit because they say they are not covered in the victims compensation program. Their problems came apparently after the bankruptcy. the law suit was filed in New York.The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court names 29 people who wer...
    Another legal bump in the road for General Motors. Now, a lawsuit has been filed by more than 600 people. They say they had GM cars recalled for faulty ignition switches and suffered injures, or are related to someone who died in a crash. They filed the lawsuit because they say they are not covered in the victims compensation program. Their problems came apparently after the bankruptcy. the law suit was filed in New York.The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court names 29 people who wer...
  • GM issues 6 more safety recalls

    GM issues 6 more safety recalls

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:00:12 GMT
    General Motors issued six more recalls on Wednesday, bringing its annual total to 60 recalls covering almost 30 million vehicles.
    General Motors issued six more recalls on Wednesday, bringing its annual total to 60 recalls covering almost 30 million vehicles.
  • Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Thursday, July 17 2014 7:19 PM EDT2014-07-17 23:19:37 GMT
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
By JOAN LOWY and TOM KRISHER
Associated Press Writers
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Kenneth Feinberg is prepared to pay out billions of General Motors' money to victims of crashes in GM small cars -- provided they can prove the cars' ignition switches caused the crash.
 
GM links 13 deaths to a defective ignition switch in cars such as the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion. But trial lawyers and lawmakers say claims of wrongful death and injury could total in the hundreds.

 Feinberg, one of the country's top compensation experts, said GM has placed no limit on the total amount he can pay to injured people or relatives of those killed. And he alone -- not GM -- will decide how much they each will get, even though he is being paid by the company and it didn't like some of the program's provisions.

Feinberg wouldn't estimate the ultimate cost for GM, saying he has no idea how many death or injury claims he will get. Based on the methodology he plans to employ, a large amount of claims could mean a sum running into the hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions.
 
"GM has basically said whatever it costs to pay any eligible claims under the protocol they will pay it. There is no ceiling," Feinberg said at a Monday news conference in Washington to announce details of the plan.

With the plan, GM is trying to limit its legal liabilities, control the damage to its image and eventually move beyond the crisis caused by its failure to correct the ignition switch problem for more than a decade, even as it learned of fatal crashes. The company recalled 2.6 million older small cars earlier this year to replace the switches.

Only those hurt in crashes caused by the small-car ignition switches are eligible, so the program excludes other GM safety problems. People filing claims will have to prove that the switches caused the crashes. Once their claim is settled, they give up their right to sue the company.
 
Claims can be filed from Aug. 1 to Dec. 31. Once the filing is completed, Feinberg promises payment in 90 to 180 days in most cases. People who previously settled lawsuits with GM are eligible to apply for more compensation.
 
Feinberg said he will not consider whether those injured in crashes contributed to the cause by drinking alcohol, speeding, not wearing seat belts or other behavior. But GM could use that as a defense if the cases go to trial, he said.
 
"We have no interest in evaluating any alleged contributory negligence on the part of the driver," he said.
 
In many cases, cars have been destroyed and it will be difficult to determine if the switches caused the crash, Feinberg said.
 
"Unlike the 911 fund or the BP oil spill fund, many of these accidents occurred years ago, decades ago," Feinberg said. He urged those seeking compensation to use police, hospital, insurance and auto repair records to buttress their claims. If the accident vehicle is still available, that's even better, he said.
 
Legal experts say GM has almost no defenses left in crash lawsuits because it conceded the switches are defective and that its employees were negligent in failing to recall the cars. A GM-funded probe by an outside attorney blamed the delays on a dysfunctional corporate culture and misconduct by some employees. The company has dismissed 15 workers in the case.
 
Feinberg said he also won't consider whether a crash happened before GM left bankruptcy protection in July of 2009. Under its bankruptcy deal, "New GM" -- the company that emerged from court protection -- is shielded from claims stemming from crashes that happened before the bankruptcy. Those claims go to "Old GM," the remnants of the company left behind in the bankruptcy, which has few assets.
 
Crashes that occurred after the bankruptcy could get big judgments in court, so it may take more money for Feinberg to settle them. Lawyers are challenging the bankruptcy shield, and if that fails, pre-bankruptcy claimants may have to settle with Feinberg.
 
The faulty ignition switches can slip from "run" to "accessory," unexpectedly shutting off the engines. That knocks out power steering and brakes and can cause drivers to lose control. In addition, the air bags won't inflate due to lack of power, so they won't protect people in a crash. Feinberg said if the air bags inflated, that negates a claim because that means the crash wasn't caused by the switch.
 
If air bag inflation is in doubt, the claims still will be considered, Feinberg said.
 
Drivers, passengers, pedestrians and occupants of cars hit by GM vehicles are eligible for payment, Feinberg said.
 
Laura Christian, the mother of an accident victim who attended the news conference, said she had evidence that 165 people have died in accidents caused by the ignition switch problem. She also said there is evidence that in some cases the driver succeeded restarting the vehicle moments before the crash, leading to air bag deployment. She asked if Feinberg would consider such cases.
 
"I will be glad to consider anything you have," Feinberg said.
 
Feinberg will follow the same methodology he used when he handled a $7 billion government fund for victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He has detailed formulas setting payments based on a victim's age, earnings potential and severity of injuries.
 
Those injured can either follow the formula and get a quick payment, or try to justify a bigger payment through "an individual negotiation tied to the extraordinary circumstances of the claim," Feinberg said. Claimants still not satisfied after that can sue GM.
 
Under Feinberg's formula, for example, relatives of a deceased 25-year-old earning $75,000 per year who is married with two children would get $5.1 million. But the relatives could build a case to get more, he said. Severely injured people could get more money than some death cases, Feinberg said. For example, a 40-year-old earning $70,000 per year who is married with no children and became a paraplegic in a crash would get $6.6 million under the formula.
 
Feinberg will limit how much he'll pay people with less-serious injuries, based on how long they stayed in the hospital, similar to the way he compensated victims of the Boston Marathon bombings. But there is no cap on potential payments to relatives of those killed and people with catastrophic injuries that caused brain damage, amputation, serious burns or paralysis. In addition, Feinberg said it won't matter whether drivers contributed to their crashes by drinking alcohol, texting or failing to wear seat belts.
 
"GM has agreed that it cannot challenge my ultimate determination," Feinberg said. "They have no right to appeal."
 
Those who want to punish GM should go to court rather than filing a claim, Feinberg said. He also said he will consider only injury claims, not those for property damage or loss of a car's value.
 
With the Sept. 11 fund, the average award to families of those killed was $2.1 million though 2,880 claims. The fund also paid an average of about $400,000 each for the 2,680 accepted claims of injuries stemming from the attacks. The smallest injury award was $500, the largest $8.6 million, according to the report. Only about 80 lawsuits rose from the attacks.
 
GM said in a statement that Feinberg's plan shows it is taking responsibility for what happened to victims "by treating them with compassion, decency and fairness."
 
Feinberg acknowledged that some people will question his fairness, given that he was hired by GM.
 
"The only way you overcome that problem is by demonstrating through the awards that the program is fair," he said. "Money is a pretty poor substitute for loss. It's the limits of what we can do, unfortunately."
 
   --------
 
 Krisher and Auto Writer Dee-Ann Durbin reported from Detroit.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • M-1 RAIL PROJECT ALTERS D-DOT BUS ROUTE

    M-1 RAIL PROJECT ALTERS D-DOT BUS ROUTE

    Monday, September 15 2014 4:14 AM EDT2014-09-15 08:14:02 GMT
    Important information concerning the M-1 Rail Project's effect on an important D-Dot bus route. D-Dot route number 53 along Woodward Avenue has been re-routed to Cass Avenue. It will not be available on Woodward between Adams and Mack.
    Important information concerning the M-1 Rail Project's effect on an important D-Dot bus route. D-Dot route number 53 along Woodward Avenue has been re-routed to Cass Avenue. It will not be available on Woodward between Adams and Mack.
  • Family believes missing man shot, abducted

    Family believes missing man shot, abducted

    Sunday, September 14 2014 11:50 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:50:53 GMT
    The family of a 20 year old man says he was shot in Detroit and now he's missing. The family of Mike Bryson made an emotional plea Sunday, asking the public for help to find him.
    The family of a 20 year old man says he was shot in Detroit and now he's missing. The family of Mike Bryson made an emotional plea Sunday, asking the public for help to find him.
  • Police: 7-year-old girl shot while playing outside

    Police: 7-year-old girl shot while playing outside

    Sunday, September 14 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:19:22 GMT
    Detroit Police are investigating a shooting Sunday that left a 7-year-old girl in critical condition.
    Detroit Police are investigating a shooting Sunday that left a 7-year-old girl in critical condition.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices