Brooklyn elevator stabbing suspect pleads not guilty - FOX 35 News Orlando

Brooklyn elevator stabbing suspect pleads not guilty

Posted: Updated:
Daniel St. Hubert, 27, was indicted on murder charges in connection with the stabbing of two children inside an elevator. Daniel St. Hubert, 27, was indicted on murder charges in connection with the stabbing of two children inside an elevator.

NEW YORK (AP) - A man accused of killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring a 7-year-old girl in a public housing building elevator has pleaded not guilty.

Daniel St. Hubert pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of murder, attempted murder, assault and weapons possession in connection with the June 1 attack.

Prince Joshua Avitto was stabbed to death; his best friend, Mikayla Capers, left the hospital a few weeks ago.

The district attorney's office provided a statement Wednesday that St. Hubert made to police officers shortly he was taken into custody.

The New York Times says he said "Satan has powers and controls things," and then added, "I think I need a lawyer."

Defense lawyer Edward Friedman says he's considering a psychiatric defense.

St. Hubert was due back in court on Aug. 8.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:52:11 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices