NBA, Clippers Eager To Have Sterling Out, Ballmer In - FOX 35 News Orlando

NBA, Clippers Eager To Have Sterling Out, Ballmer In

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

(FOX 11 / AP) The NBA and the Los Angeles Clippers are ready to move on, even if Donald Sterling wants to keep fighting. Move on to Steve Ballmer, who paid a record price for the team and is now a step closer to finally owning it.

The Clippers are a potential powerhouse team next season, with two All-Star players and one of the league's best coaches. The only thing that could've messed it up was ownership.

That no longer appears to be a concern after Monday's ruling in Los Angeles, where Superior Court Judge Michael Levanas sided with Sterling's estranged wife, Shelly Sterling, who negotiated the sale to Ballmer for a record-breaking $2 billion. Donald Sterling was trying to block the sale.

Now it could all be completed within two weeks.

"We look forward to the transaction closing as soon as possible," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement.

The league wanted to work with Ballmer, who made clear his desire to own with the astonishing price he paid. The former Microsoft CEO was nearly an NBA owner last year before owners chose to keep the Kings in Sacramento, rather than allow them to be sold to a group that included Ballmer, and moved to Seattle.

He got another chance after Donald Sterling was recorded making racial remarks to a female friend. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver then banned Sterling for life and fined him $2.5 million, and said he would urge owners to force Sterling to sell.

Instead, Shelly Sterling made the deal with Ballmer, which could have fallen through if Levanas had ruled she didn't have the authority. And the Clippers' high hopes might've crumbled just as quickly.

Doc Rivers would possibly have quit as coach if Sterling remained the owner, interim CEO Richard Parsons had testified. All-Star point guard Chris Paul, who also is president of the Players Association, might have sat out and convinced other players to join him. Sponsors who already started to flee after Sterling's recording was released might have stayed away for good.

"The Clippers would suffer a massive loss of value if the team survived at all," Levanas said.

Now they will go into next season flying high, just the way they play with Paul throwing alley-oop passes to big men Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. They will have an owner who's already proven he won't be afraid to spend, a sharp contrast to the famously frugal Sterling, who never particularly cared to spend his billions on his basketball team.

That's just part of the reason Sterling was long considered one of the worst owners in sports and his team one of its biggest laughingstocks. But the Clippers had zoomed past the Lakers as the best team in Los Angeles in their three years since acquiring Paul and are perhaps on their way to becoming one of the best in the league.

They won 57 games last season, their most ever, before the Sterling recording was released during their first-round playoff series against Golden State. The Clippers pulled that out in seven games but who knows what toll, if any, dealing with the Sterling fallout took, and they were ousted by Oklahoma City in the next round.

An unusual provision of the ruling bars Donald Sterling from seeking a court-ordered delay of the sale as he appeals. His lawyers plan to seek permission from an appellate court to file an appeal, and with lawsuits pending in state and federal courts, Monday's ruling is unlikely to end the bizarre saga.

But it gave the NBA, the Clippers and Ballmer hope that it all could be finished soon.

"I think the sale is going to go through," said Bruce Givner, a Los Angeles tax attorney who handles celebrity cases. "I suspect the NBA is ready to move very quickly. They want to get rid of Sterling like a canker sore. Nobody wants him around except the people that are charging legal fees to continue this charade."

From Bob DeCastro:

In about two weeks time, the saga surrounding the LA Clippers could finally come to a conclusion. Attorneys for Shelly Sterling and Steve Ballmer say they expect the record $2 billion sale of the franchise to go through by August 15.

The decision made by a probate judge just 3 miles from Staple Center. Shelly Sterling with her attorneys alongside was beaming. The ruling finds that Shelley Sterling acted properly as the lone trustee when she agreed to sell the team.

Her husband, Donald Sterling, was not in court on Monday. Throughout the trial his attorneys had argued that the the Clippers franchise is his and only his to sell.

Donald Sterling's attorneys remained firm, saying he would continue to fight.

Two other lawsuits may do little to slow the sale.

The judge also took a rare step, ruling the sale can go forward even if Sterling chose to appeal.

The NBA issued a statement welcoming the ruling.

"We look forward to the transaction closing as soon as possible. "

The NBA could move quickly to get its 30 member board of governors to officially vote on the Ballmer's purchase. The league is expected to have unanimous support.



From Christina Gonzalez:

AS FAR AS PROBATE ISSUES, IT'S PRETTY MUCH OVER FOR DONALD STERLING.

In the Sterling vs Sterling case, Judge Michael Levanas ruled for Shelly Sterling on all counts.

First, he decided that she acted properly when she took control of the family trust that owned the Clippers basketball team.

Second, he decided that Donald Serling's revocation of the trust did not prohibit his wife from negotiating to sell the team for $2 billion dollars to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Third, in a rarely used motion, the judge's decided that the sale can go forward, even if Donald Sterling appeals.

The word tentative is used in the ruling because there is a process to be completed. Her attorneys have until 4pm tomorrow to file paperwork, and Donald's attorneys has 15 days to file an objection. Although, the judge was pretty thorough in his decision, so it's expected that nothing will change.

How likely is it the sale will now go through? Steve Ballmer's attorney promising that the team will not move from Los Angeles, under any circumstances.

Shelly Sterling herself saying she thinks Donald will agree with the decision and even "go to the games" with her. She may want to ask the NBA about that, considering Donald's ban is for life. The Association's only comment today is that they are happy with the decision and hope the sale goes through "as soon as possible".

Other possible steps for Donald Sterling:

-He has filed a separate lawsuit challenging Shelly Sterling's right to sell the team, based on corporate law.

-A civil rights lawsuit pending in federal court against the NBA, claiming Donald's constitutional rights were violated.

But as far as this trial, it's over, and it's definitely a victory for Shelly Sterling.


  • Los Angeles & SoCal SportsMore>>

  • Source says Rice video sent to NFL

    Source says Rice video sent to NFL

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 7:06 PM EDT2014-09-10 23:06:57 GMT
     A law enforcement official says he sent a video of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee to an NFL executive five months ago, while league executives have insisted they didn't see the violent images until this week.
     A law enforcement official says he sent a video of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee to an NFL executive five months ago, while league executives have insisted they didn't see the violent images until this week.
  • Ravens Cut RB Ray Rice After Release Of Striking Video

    Ravens Cut RB Ray Rice After Release Of Striking Video

    Tuesday, September 9 2014 12:47 AM EDT2014-09-09 04:47:48 GMT
    Ray Rice was let go by the Baltimore Ravens on Monday and suspended indefinitely by the NFL after a video was released that appears to show the running back striking his then-fiancee in February.
    Ray Rice was let go by the Baltimore Ravens on Monday and suspended indefinitely by the NFL after a video was released that appears to show the running back striking his then-fiancee in February.
  • NFL Increases Penalties For Domestic Violence With Players

    NFL Increases Penalties For Domestic Violence With Players

    Thursday, August 28 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-08-28 19:51:29 GMT
    NFL players will be subject to a six-week suspension for a first domestic violence offense and banishment from the league for a second under a new policy outlined by Commissioner Roger Goodell.
    NFL players will be subject to a six-week suspension for a first domestic violence offense and banishment from the league for a second under a new policy outlined by Commissioner Roger Goodell.
Powered by WorldNow

35 Skyline Drive
Lake Mary, FL 32746

Phone: (407) 644-3535
News Tips: (866) 55-FOX35

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices